Endometriosis results from the uterine lining tissues, which grow in other reproductive organs, for example, the ovaries and fallopian tubes. These tissues bleed every month too. But the blood is trapped in the body. It leads to the formation of scar tissue, pain, and inflammation.
Endometriosis usually results from high levels of estrogen, which increases the growth of tissues that line the uterine outside the uterus. One in ten women are affected between puberty and menopause, hence it is always wise to get regular checkups done from your gynecologist, if you ever feel severe pain or unusual symptoms during your menstrual cycles or otherwise.
Symptoms of Endometriosis
The following are the common symptoms of endometriosis
- Heavy menstrual cycles
- Lower tummy or back pain that worsens during the menstrual cycle
- Pain during and after sex
- Difficulty getting pregnant and fertility issues
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Pain when you go to the toilet during your period
- Period pain
- Blood in urine during your period
Diagnosis of Endometriosis
If you experience any symptoms of endometriosis, you should book an appointment with the best gynecologist in Islamabad. The doctor may ask you to go for advanced home testing and other screening to help in the identification of imbalance of sex hormones.
Treatment of Endometriosis
Different treatments are available for endometriosis and the following may be recommended by your doctor to ease the symptoms.
- Surgery, for example, hysterectomy or removing part of the affected organs
- Strong painkillers such as Ibuprofen
- Surgery to remove patches of affected tissues
- Hormone medicine and contraceptive
Lifestyle and Diet Changes
Your doctor may ask you to do the following to improve the symptoms of endometriosis by balancing hormones, enhancing natural detoxification and reduction of inflammation.
Some of the helpful changes in lifestyle include
- Whole foods and natural foods, which include fruits, and vegetables, to get sufficient phytonutrients
- Eliminate gluten and dairy food from your diet to improve symptoms
- Reduce processed foods, refined carbohydrates, caffeine, alcohol, red meat and sugar
- Increase the intake of healthy fats and fish oils to get anti-inflammatory benefits of omega-3 fatty acids
Go for organic vegetables, fruits, and meat to reduce pesticides, chemical and hormonal intake from foods.
Blood Sugar Maintenance
Maintaining your blood sugar keeps the insulin levels in your body normal and reduce inflammation.
Being overweight and obese increases the risk of inflammation and estrogen dominance.
Reduce the exposure to xenoestrogens and endocrine disrupting chemicals, such as BPA and paraben in cosmetics, personal care products, plastic products, and bottles.
Taking steps to reduce and manage stress can help in relieving endometriosis.
Exercise helps in the reduction of inflammation and enhances the release of pain-relieving endorphins, which stimulate the lymphatic system of the body to remove excess estrogen in the body.
A healthy sleep pattern can help in reducing sensitivity to pain and stress.
If you experience symptoms of endometriosis, make sure you book an appointment with the best gynecologist in Lahore. They will examine you and carry out tests to check whether your signs and symptoms are of endometriosis or not.